History

The year was 1927. Omaha was booming, the twenties were roaring, and the building known today as The Scoular Building opened as a downtown community center for the Knights of Columbus. Originally designed as an inviting social center by Leo A. Daly, Sr., the building was morphed into one of the country’s largest American Legion Posts towards the end of World War II. During the 1940s, the building served as an inexpensive club for servicemen returning home from war and was known for having the best food and largest bar in Omaha.

Although the interior of the building has been subject to modernization throughout the years, much of the building’s architectural elements have remained intact due to The Scoular Company’s dedication to historic preservation. The building, purchased by The Scoular Company in 1987, was restored to its former grandeur under the direction of Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture.

In March 2013, the Scoular Ballroom underwent a major renovation that added the latest audio, visual and lighting technology. In December 2013, an additional banquet room and two deluxe bridal suites were added to the existing space.


Scoular-building_001

Grand Ballroom circa May 1927

Once touted as the finest auditorium in the city, the Grand Ballroom boasted a fully equipped stage for amateur theatrical productions, a ladies parlor, a grill room and kitchen, and seating for 1,375. Throughout the years, it has hosted its fair share of banquets, dances, initiations, and large meetings.
Photo Credit: Omaha World-Herald

Scoular-building_003

Grill Room circa May 1927

The Grill Room, situated to the west of the Grand Ballroom, served some of the best food and housed one of Omaha’s largest bars. It was the perfect inexpensive place to dine before enjoying the multitude of events held within the Grand Ballroom.
Photo Credit: Omaha World-Herald


Scoular-building_004

Club Quarters of the Catholic Daughters of America circa
May 1927

When the Knights of Columbus occupied the building, the fifth and fourth floors constituted the dormitory hotel with 79 sleeping rooms for men only. The third floor was reserved for the Knights of Columbus and included a billiard room, lounge, library, music room, and card room. The second floor housed the Catholic Daughters of America and featured the Chamber room, while the first floor housed executive offices, the hotel desk, and a lobby.
Photo Credit: Omaha World-Herald

Scoular-building_002

American Legion Post No. 1 circa November 1944

With more than 25,000 members, the American Legion Post No. 1 served American servicemen returning home from World War II. At the time, the building was subsidized by the profits from the Post’s slot machines. The building was also extensively remodeled during the 1940s. Men’s quarters were available on the upper floors, which were policed very carefully to preserve the club’s liquor license. When the club had to abolish the slot machines, the Post could no longer afford the building.
Photo Credit: Omaha World-Herald