For newly engaged couples, the weeks following an engagement can seem like a blur. You’ve probably spent time celebrating with friends and family, posting adorable engagement photos on social media, and trying to navigate questions regarding your upcoming nuptials. Before you even hit the ground running, the mere thought of planning your wedding can feel overwhelming, especially if you don’t know where to begin.
Don’t hit the panic button just yet! We have some tips for helping you begin the planning process.
- Take your time: Don’t feel like you have to start planning immediately just because your friends and family have been pressuring you for a date and location. Enjoy your engagement before the craziness of wedding planning commences. Just know that if you want a certain date and venue, you may want to start making some phone calls to check on availability.
- Shop around: It seems like wedding planning is becoming more of a race instead of a slow and steady marathon. Couples feel pressured to reserve their venue and vendors as soon as possible for fear of missing out. Before you book a venue or choose any of your wedding vendors, you need to shop around for comparison purposes.
- Create a plan of action: Know what you need and have a plan of action for getting things accomplished. This is the stage of planning where a wedding coordinator can be a huge asset. If you cannot afford a wedding coordinator, consider delegating the planning tasks to friends and family. Have your mom call caterers while your fiance contacts bands. It feels great crossing items off a to-do list!
- Persevere: Eventually, you’ll start to grow weary of the planning process. You’ll hit a wall and wish the big day would just get here. Keep plugging away, but know that it’s okay to take a week off from planning. Reconnect with your fiance and plan a fun date night that doesn’t revolve around wedding planning.
- Refocus: It’s so easy to get caught up in the details of the day that you forget why you’re planning everything in the first place. The day is about you and your fiance; nothing more, nothing less. Keep reminding yourself that there’s an amazing light at the end of your tunnel that leads to marriage. If you keep this thought in the back of your mind, you’ll save yourself a lot of stress. P.S. No one cares or notices how the napkins are folded. Stop stressing about this detail!